What Is Metaphysics? Pt.2 - Ekrem Demirli
“In our age, metaphysics is considered to be quite meaningless to most people. This is unfortunate, and can be traced back to Descartes , who ostensibly glorified metaphysics but in actuality directed our attention to physics proper.
“Since metaphysics is no longer seen as having real, explanatory force, it is no wonder that religious thought has weakened and become quite untenable among many of today's leading intellectuals.
“For me, the subject matter of metaphysics is being/existence, and in this respect I am in fundamental agreement with Ibn Sina. But, I also side with Ibn ʿArabi and Qunawi, who maintain that immersion into metaphysics necessarily entails immersion into the content of revelation.
“It would not be possible, in other words, to understand metaphysical thinking without grasping the nature and scope of revelation. And this would, in keeping with Ibn ʿArabi's fundamental insight, naturally lead to a more detailed study of man as such, or anthropology.
“It is also my position that the insights of the great Islamic metaphysicians can be brought into conversation with today's most significant advances in the human sciences. Such an approach should offer some promise to our contemporaries, who are often disillusioned with simple-minded theological approaches to revelation and the content of religion.”
 Quoted from
- An Interview with Ekrem Demirli, Turkey's Leading Scholar of Ibn ʿArabi and Qunawi by Mohammed Rustom
 On Descartes:
- TRADITION AND CIVILIZATION, Some Quotes from René Guénon in "East and West"
- Regarding the famous Cartesian method, in: In The Beginning Is Consciousness, SH Nasr
More on metaphysics:
• What Is Metaphysics? Réne Guénon
• Oriental Metaphysics, Explanations, And Traditional
Definitions, from Réne Guénon
• Insights Into The Nature Of (Being) And Existence
Quotes from 'The Sufi Path Of Knowledge; Ibn al-`Arabi's Metaphysics of Imagination'; Willian C. Chittick
• On the Supreme Principle
And That Metaphysics May Not Be Limited, Réne Guénon
• Metaphysics - Why Is It Necessary Today? Omar K N
• Metaphysical Foundations Charles Upton, SAC*
*SAC, EDH, DRG, see [booklist]
freedom of thought
his personal traits
role of spiritual master
The Source - the Supreme Center
the end of time
back to Signposts < index >