- "If death were a science no-one but a stronger man would have preceded me to it." Sufyân al-Thawrî never ceased loving Khâlid after he heard this word reported to him.
- "A man does not attain superlative understanding (lâ yafqahu al-rajulu kulla al-fiqh) until he sees people as gnats in the presence of Allâh then returns to his own self and despises that self more than anything."
- "Every son of the earth (âdamî) has four eyes: two in his head to see the things of this world, and two in his heart to see the things of the hereafter. When Allâh desires great good for one of His servants, He opens for him the eyes of the heart so that he can see the unseen that was promised to him."
- "When Ibrâhîm the Friend ate grapes he would eat them one by one and remember Allâh with each one."
- "Eating and lauding is better than eating silently."
- "When one of you opens a good opportunity let him go to it quickly for he knows not when it will be closed again for him."
- "The eye is property and the self is property. The best property of a servant is what benefits him and is spent by him. The worst of your property is **what you neither see nor does it see you, although you are accountable for it and its benefit goes to another!**"
- "Whoever seeks praise in disregard of the Almighty, He will turn this praise into blame for him; and whoever cares little for blame in regard of the Almighty, He will turn these blames into praise for him."
Whenever he went to bed Khâlid would mention how much he missed the Prophet and the Companions. He would name them one by one and say: "They are my roots and sinews, my heart longs for them, I miss them so much! My Lord! Take me to You!" repeating this until sleep overcame him. Salama ibn Shabîb said that Khâlid ibn Ma`dân made forty thousand tasbîh. daily, aside from his recitation of Qur'ân. When he died and was placed on his bed for his washing, his finger moved by itself in tasbîh.. He died fasting.
Source: al-Dhahabî, Siyar A`lâm al-Nubalâ' (5:438-441 #583).
GF Haddad ©